Welcome, Perusers of the Internets

Hello, please enjoy my blog.
If you do not, please feel free to kiss my ass instead of shitting on me.

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 25 October 2011

The Help Review

So, I've recently read The Help, by Kathryn Stockett


         I already know that you guys are thinking that I have succumbed to the media pressure that always ensues when a movie adaptation of a book is released. However, I have NOT seen the film and know little to nothing about it (only that Emma Stone was in it). In any case, I found this book to be absolutely excellent. I was enthralled by the story and often had a lot of trouble putting the book down (even when I had to leave for school or start doing homework). 
         
          In case you don't already know, the story is about black maids in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 1960's. Basically, a young white woman with a flair for journalism takes an interest in the experience of being a black maid in that time and place. She starts secretly compiling a book full of their stories and from that the story unfolds. I will stop there since I hope that you will want to read it for yourself and I don't want to spoil it. 

        The characters were so relatable. They were realistic as people and I could understand and empathize with their points of view. The character development was very good and I felt that we knew each of the characters well; from their flaws to their positive traits and all their nuances. The book was also deeply affecting and appealed to the anger that arises in me when I hear of inequality and discrimination. The Help really uses the stories of the main characters to get you thinking and that's what characterizes a good book in my opinion. 

       If you are still not convinced that The Help is worth it, then let me add that the ending made me cry in public, AT SCHOOL. So there. 

Click here to check out or buy The Help

4 comments:

  1. will this be added to your favorite books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book sitting at home, but didn't really want to open it as I sometimes shy away from books that are too popular-thinking they are too mainstream. After your review though, I think I'll give it a try!
    p.s. Did you read the Book of Negroes? I just finished. Great, I thought.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this review, it's very informative. this book was already on my to-read goodreads list, and i'll start as soon as i finish 1q84. do you think you could let me borrow it? thanks!

    ReplyDelete