Welcome, Perusers of the Internets

Hello, please enjoy my blog.
If you do not, please feel free to kiss my ass instead of shitting on me.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Time for Poutine

I've been completely consumed since my last post with the protest, the riot, and the subsequent gatherings that have been held at McGill since last Thursday. Today, however, I would like to depart from that serious topic and talk about something light: poutine. This is basically a list of my favorite places to get poutine in Quebec. If you don't know about poutine, it looks like this:
Ruby's Best Poutine List:
-Poutine at Louis' Luncheonette in Sherbrooke, QC: This restaurant not only has amazing poutine, but the steamed hot dogs are also totally worthwhile. The curds are fresh, and the fries are always crispy and never greasy.


-Poutine Frank at La Banquise in Montreal, QC: This is a poutine with pieces of merguez sausage in it. The sauce is so flavorful and the sausage goes perfectly with the cheese curds. Also, this restaurant is open 24 hours a day, which is a huge plus since many cravings for poutine come late at night.


-Poutine Mexicaine at Frite Alors! in Montreal, QC: This is a traditional poutine that has their mexican sauce (which is a sort of slightly sweet salsa) poured on top of it. I think they've taken it off the menu now but I still ask for it when I go because the marriage of the gravy and the mexican sauce is ridiculously good. Also, the fries are excellent.
-Poutine at La Belle Province in Granby, QC: This poutine is really good. Just a plain old poutine, well done. Also, I feel like this restaurant is a Quebec classic. However, not all La Belle Province's are created equal. This one in Granby is absolutely great, but some others that I've been to are disgusting. Be careful.


I totally stand behind my recommendations of these poutines, and if I had to give any advice on poutines in general, I would say, "Never be afraid to try new toppings on top of poutine; however, never underestimate the value of poutine in its classic form". Clearly a quote for the history books.

5 comments:

  1. I've tried 3 of your 4 poutine restaurants...in the classic poutine style....my very top super duper favorite..... "Louis Luncheonette"....poutines are one of my favorite things about Quebec....

    ReplyDelete
  2. la belle Princesse17 November 2011 at 09:28

    Allo la belle Ruby....it's 9.24am and after reading this guess what i'm craving?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you forgot the chili poutine from nickels!!!

    and who is this "belle princesse"? hannah is that you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, chili poutine is good but it's not for everyone :S lol.
    Belle princess c'est l'amie de ma mere lol. But it could easily have been Hannah Mei.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last line got me laughing out loud.

    I'd like to suggest the poutine of Chez Ben on S'Bour la Bédaine in Granby. Everyone says its the best poutine in Granby! I'll have to try the one at La Belle Province to see if that's true!

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8555671@N05/2597109050/

    ReplyDelete